Apologetics.com Radio airs every Friday at midnight from 12:00 AM to 2:00 AM (Pacific time) on KKLA (99.5 FM). Doug Eaton is a regular guest on the show. He invited Pastor Jeff to join the discussion on “Sacrifice and the Christian Life” this Friday night going into Memorial Day Weekend.
Brew up some coffee and be sure to listen! You might even give a call on the air at 1-888-LA-TALKS (1-888-528-2557).
Find more information at apologetics.com.
I found this beauty of a blog written by my friend Doug Eaton and had to post it! It was written back in November of 2009 on “Godward Thoughts,” Doug’s blog site. You should definitely check this blog regulalry and be edified by its content.
It’s been such a blessing to have the Eaton’s in the membership of Bethel Grace. I am very excited about Doug’s coming and future involvement in our teaching ministry. Doug will be teaching in the Salt & Light class the next couple weeks, and then will spend some time with the Basic Truth class in June.
And now, the 10 ways daily Bible reading will enhance public worship. They all rang so true in my heart! Blessings!
2. As you sing songs in worship you will recognize many of the passages of scriptures alluded to in the music, which will enrich the truths they are communicating.
3. You will better understand the significance of the ordinances like baptism and the Lord’s Supper, which will make you be able to see more of the imagery of the law and gospel in them.
4. As you study the text while it is being preached, you will be able to relate it to other passages of scripture not included in the sermon.
6. You will have a greater hunger for the word because you have been feeding on it and finding satisfaction in it. This hunger takes away much of the dryness that some people experience when attending church and makes it a pleasure to be in the house of the Lord.
7. In times of fellowship you will be able to apply the scripture to people’s lives as they talk about their daily joys and struggles.
8. It will reveal your sinfulness and give you strength as you fight against the indwelling sin in your own life, and make you better able to strengthen others. And better understanding this struggle produces contrition and begins to eliminate the pride which causes unneeded divisions in many churches.
9. As you desire success for your church, you will better understand what true church success is, and it will keep you trusting in the Lord who gives the increase instead of trusting in worldly tactics as you seek growth.
10. Since the Word moves us to prayer, you will be more prayerful as you spend time in the Lord’s house which is called a house of prayer.
This list is designed to let people know a few of the ways daily bible reading will enhance the corporate worship in bible teaching churches. If you attend a church where the bible is neglected and pop psychology is the main course, attending those types of churches while engaged in daily bible reading will only frustrate you. This is because you will find that motivational “preaching” neglects the main themes that run throughout scripture and replaces theology with therapy and replaces redemption with a self-help regimen. Of course even that frustration is a good thing.